Jerusalem in the Headlines: Ras al-Amud, Temple Mount, the Barrier, Elad, & Har Homa
Settlers take over part of house Palestinian home in Ras al Amud
The settlers continue to chisel away at the Palestinian presence in areas which they covert. The settlers come armed with money, power and authority; the targeted Palestinians have only their resolve.
- Maan, September 4: Israeli settlers move into Silwan home
- Arutz Sheva, September 4: Room by Room, Jews Reclaim Home in Jerusalem
- JPost, September 3: Right-wing activists seal room in east J’lem home
- Haaretz, September 2: Israelis move into Palestinian family’s home after court backs ownership claim
- LA Times, September 2: Palestinian family loses its Jerusalem home to Israeli settlers
- From the archives: Haaretz, March 4, 2011: Palestinian family ordered to share E. J’lem home with Israelis
Knesset effort to overturn status quo on the Temple Mount/Haram al Sharif
This latest effort is part of the Hebronization of Jerusalem, and poses a very real threat to stability and security for Israel and the region.
- Xinhua, August 13: New Israeli bill calls to divide prayer times for Jews, Muslims at Jerusalem holy site
- Arutz Sheva, August 13: Call for Jewish Section on Mount Gains Momentum
- Al Arabiya, August 12: Israeli lawmaker’s proposal to divide al-Asqa Mosque worship stirs uproar
- JPost, August 12: Bill calls for Jewish prayer times on Temple Mount
Israel closes major crossing in East Jerusalem (cutting off E. J’lem neighborhoods)
The way Israeli authorities periodically seal/open/reopen areas in which Palestinians reside reveals how, in the eyes of many Israeli decision-makers, the Palestinians are merely pawns on an Israeli chess board (expressing shock when the pawns make their own moves):
- AFP, August 29: Israel group wants Jerusalem crossing to stay open
- Haaretz, August 27: Israel closes key Jerusalem checkpoint, limiting Palestinian residents’ access
- Saudi Gazette, August 27: Jerusalem off-limits for Palestinians
Court rules settler group’s contract to run City of David is illegal
This is another chapter in the never-ending saga of the settler takeover of Silwan. This successful challenge to the legality of the settler monopoly in Silwan is no small matter. However, by year’s end, a new “sanitized” tender will likely be issued, and the settlers are a shoe-in to win it.
- JPost, August 28: Court: City of David contract is illegal
- Arutz Sheva, August 28: Elad Loses City of David Management
Har Homa tenders draw criticism
There has been a bit of a lull in tenders and approval of new settler schemes during July and August. These Har Homa tenders are an indication that “les vacances” are coming to an end.
- PNN, August 27: Turkey Condemns Israel’s Decision to Tender for Construction of Additional Units in Har Homa Settlement
- Israel Lands Authority 8/16/12: Tender for new units in Har Homa C (Hebrew)
- Ahram Online, August 25: UK responds to Israeli announcement of more housing units
- JPost, August 23: EU, UN call on Israel to stop Har Homa construction
- EU Statement, August 22: Statement by the spokesperson of High Representative Catherine Ashton on settlement expansion in East Jerusalem